Monday, May 9, 2011

You Owe Me Money AND You're a Douchebag

I DJ'ed regularly for a company called Metropark. They were a boutique chain selling men's and women's fashions. They are now bankrupt. I had an outstanding invoice with them and I am not going to be paid for it. This is not fun news to hear. No one likes to work for free. Even I, who loves giving to people and organizations have the same expectation we all do which is if this is a job then I am going to be paid.

What brought me to write this blog is not the fact I am not going to get my money. It was how I was treated when I called to follow up on my invoice and to figure out if something else can be arranged. 

A condescending man had the audacity to cut me off while I was speaking repeatedly, he offered to refer me to a website where I could learn about bankruptcy, he told me he didn't have the authority to help me, he claimed he wasn't even in payroll, he also flat out said "well, none of you DJ's are getting paid." 

Maybe all of this is true. Maybe he was stressed. Maybe he feels like a little maggot having to represent and stick it out for a company that hasn't made good out in the world and obviously has a lot of people upset at them right now. Maybe, maybe, maybe. 

How about, Maybe he doesn't have to be such a douchebag???

I'm not gonna bitch and moan about the money. There are people that are out of a job because of this and worse. I feel for every single one of these people. I get where my invoice is in the big scheme of this. However, I am still a person. A human being. I don't deserve to be dumped on & THAT is where my problem lies. A little goes a long way. A little kindness, understanding, truth, decency. 

As I continue my path of enlightenment I will someday be above these situations. Like Jesus, Buddha, Gandhi. The type of being that realizes what's going on around them but doesn't get affected. I'm glad that my moments of funk don't last as long as they once did and I am able to see the other person's side. I am also proud to say I didn't raise my voice, get nasty, or stoop to his level. I simply stated how I felt they could be more human about the situation and then I ended the phone call. These are advancements. Right now though, I have to say I was affected. Metropark Jesse you're #1 and you can go ahead and imagine what gesture I'm using to illustrate that. 

Effff you dude, effff YOU.



No comments: